Sunday, June 26, 2005

And the Lord Said Unto Me: "Just tell 'em I said 'hi'"

Now, if you’ve seen Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, you may be vaguely familiar with the Cabazon Dinosaurs that worked as a symbol of Pee Wee’s subconscious anxieties. I went with my parents to pick up my niece and nephew in Indio and we stopped by the Cabazon dinosaurs. I hadn’t been there in years, and when I entered the gift shop, I was presented with a little display of a knight and dinosaur with a sign noting how dinosaurs lived alongside human beings. A few feet up the stairs and there’s a plate tectonics map with a nearby note:

Exciting new research by geophysicist and creationist John Baumgardner shows how plate tectonics works better rapidly. Dr. Baumgardner supercomputer model Terra was developed when he was a researcher at Los Alamos Laboratories. His computer model, which is highly regarded in the scientific community, has continents moving at meters per second instead of inches per year and the sea floor crust diving under the continents. In this model, the sea floor would also warp up and the continents would warp down, flooding the land with water. This sprint of the continents would have caused a line of geysers along the boundaries of the plates creating global rainfall. Global rainfall, fast moving continents and rapidly laid down sediments are the major parts of a Creationist flood model for the 21st century.




It’s been my experience that if someone wants to point out that something is accepted by scientists, it probably isn’t. But continuing up to the gift shop, I found some rather interesting books that had lots to do with dinosaurs, like Starlight and Time, Moral Darwinism, and Buried Alive. It was then that I noticed the television in the background was playing an evangelical program:

I was bewildered; I turned to my mother and asked, “when did this place get so… Creationist?” She assured me that it had always been like that, but I couldn’t help noticing the dawn-of-man bust-on-the-wall series that showed “Peking Man” “Neanderthal Man” “Cro-Magnon Man” and “Suzzie” (Suzie, a domesticated gorilla). I thought to myself, surely if Claude Bell, the builder of the original apatasaurus, was a hardcore creationist, he wouldn’t have put those busts there.

Here’s my point though

,
Even if dinosaurs and humans did live together once, I don’t think either could read or write at the time.

No comments: