Monday, February 27, 2006

Soviet Mexicans

So I got to reading about Russian phonology, because that's what I do for fun. Anyway, I had this idea. What if I took a broad transcription of another language, say Spanish, and then applied narrow phonetic detail from Russian? And then, if you read such an IPA transcription to a Spanish speaker, they would say "Ay Dios mío, es un acento ruso" which roughly translates as "Oh my god, it's a Russian accent, run for the hills!" (inevitably, any rough translation of Spanish will end in "run for the hills;" they really put the panic in Hispanic).

So I took this phrase from Don Quixote (because
Wikipedia did):

En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los
de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor


The meaning isn't important for what we're doing, but it roughly translates as "In some village in La Mancha, whose name I do not care to recall, there dwelt not so long ago a gentleman of the type wont to keep an unused lance, an old shield, a greyhound for racing, and a skinny old horse. Run for the hills!"

With my knowledge of Spanish, I first made a broad transcription:

/en un luˈgar de laˈmantʃa de ˈkuʝo ˈnombre no kjero akorˈdarme no a mutʃo ˈtjempo kebiˈbia un iˈdalgo de los de ˈlansa en astiˈʝero aˈdarga anˈtigwa, roˈsin ˈflako i ˈgalgo korːeˈdor/

You can click on the Wikipedia link and look at the bottom of the page to see the narrow transcription. It's too much work for me to put it here. As I indicated before, I applied Russian phonological processes to the broad transcription.

[ɪ.nʊn.lʊˈgar.dɨ̞.lɐˈman.tɕə.
dɨ̞ˈku.jɐˈnom.brɨ̞.nɐˈkʲɛ̝.rə.ə.kɐrˈdar.mɨ̞.
nɐ.ɐˈmu.tɕɐˈtʲɛ̝m.pə.kɨ̞.bʲɪˈbʲi.ə.
ʊ.nɨ̞ˈdɑ̟l.gə.dɨ̞.ləz.dɨ̞ˈlan.sə.
ɪ.nə.sʲtʲɪˈjɛ̝.rə.ɐˈdar.gə.ɐnʲˈtʲigʊ.ə.
rɐˈsʲin.fla.kə.ɪˈgal.gə.kər.rɨ̞ˈdor]


Presumably, because of vowel reduction processes, these two transcriptions into Cyrillic script should read the same for any Russian speakers reading it aloud:

Эн ун лугар дэ ла Манча де куё номбрэ но керо акордармэ но а мучо темпо кэ бибиа ун идалго дэ лос дэ ланса ен астыеро адарга антыгуа росин флако и галго коррэдор.

Ин ун лугар ды ло Манча ды кую номвры но кера окордармы но о муча темпа кы бибиа ун идалга ды лас ды ланса ин астиера одарга онтигуа росин флака и галга коррыдор.


The first is a letter-for-letter correspondance. I omitted silent h's and considered ll to be exactly like y since they are the same in many dialects and I'd imagine that Russian speakers wouldn't be able to tell the difference (I also assumed they would hear the Castilian dental fricative /θ/ as /s/ anyway) so I pretty much nullified the major dialectal distinctions. I also transcribed any v as б, the Cyrillic equivalent of b, since v and b indicate the same phoneme in Spanish.

The second is more closely related to the phonetic detail. Although it was arbitrary, because unstressed /a/ and /o/ are the same, I figured I'd have some variety and put a at the end of a word and о right before the stress.

All right, back to work

2 comments:

Ƶ§œš¹ said...

In Russian, /e/ and /i/ have the same unstressed allophones. You can look at the Russian phonology page if you like.

Ƶ§œš¹ said...

That is, the one on Wikipedia